Here are some myths I would like to dispel about painting:
- Taping and dropcloths are completely optional. (and a huge time-suck) Just know you may get a drop here or there- but you've saved yourself half the time by not taping everything off- so let it go.
- You will get paint all over yourself. There is no way to avoid this. (who paints in nice clothes anyway? If you do- dumb move)
- It's better to get it done than to make it perfect. Sure, my lines aren't precisely straight. (which should really bother me) But I wanted it done... like now.
- Taking paint swatches and "thinking it over" is overrated. The first swatch you take out is probably the one you'll end up with anyway- quit over thinking it. (unless your color is sunshine yellow- then forget it; I've had personal experience with this color- run away)
- Faux finishes are for professionals- I can't tell you how many shows on HGTV where the normal joe-schmo took a sponge to their walls. It looks bad people.